- Founded and led a New Mexico technology company for 25 years.
- Met payroll for dozens of employees as the CEO.
- Served Bernalillo, Corrales and Rio Rancho as a New Mexico State Representative.
- Served and represented America abroad as a Foreign Service Officer in the Department of State.
- Led the Federal Voting Assistance Program for the U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt, Germany, 2011-2012, to increase our military vote.
- Founder and Executive Director for NM Open Elections, a non-profit focused on increasing voter turnout.
- Knowledgeable on election code and election reform measures as a volunteer advocate.
- Four plus years cyber security policy experience in government and private sector.
- Awarded a B.A. in Government from Pomona College.
- Awarded a M.S. in Healthcare Administration from University of Maryland.
Help Fund Our Campaign
“The recent national threats to election security underscore how important it is to elect people to County Clerk positions who have experience with technology, the intelligence community and cyber security. As County Clerk, I will lead the charge to upgrade IT security and election procedures while remaining laser-focused on improving the voter experience for all.”
Bob Perls, former NM State Representative and former U.S. Diplomat.
I am running for Sandoval County Clerk in 2020 for three reasons:
- UPHOLD INTEGRITY: The Clerk’s Office must ensure the integrity of elections — enough voting machines, no random voter roll purges, and reduce Election Day wait times for all communities equally.
- PROMOTE VOTER OUTREACH: Nearly half of New Mexico voters don’t vote. The Clerk must educate future voters, promote upcoming elections and help drive turnout among the youth, Native Americans and other minority communities.
- ENSURE ELECTION SECURITY: The County Clerk is your chief election officer. Bob has the technology and cyber security background to help modernize the Clerk’s office to protect election results from hacking.
The past two years document that the threats against election security are real. The Russians tried to influence the 2016 elections and the Trump campaign benefited. These types of threats are much more severe and sophisticated than the background threats county and state governments usually see. To protect every vote, we need federal level expertise from the intelligence and law enforcement community filtered down immediately to all election officers in New Mexico. We need a Clerk who can modernize the office to address 21st century threats. I have the background, experience and desire to lead this effort.
Volunteer With Our Campaign
Throughout the campaign we will have many great opportunities for folks like you to lend a hand. Sign up below and we will get in touch.
Extensive Relevant Experience:
- Founded and led for 25 years a NM technology company
- Met payroll for dozens of employees as the CEO
- Served my community as a NM State Representative
- Served my country and represented America abroad as a Foreign Service Officer in the Department of State
- Co-founded PAPA, a performing arts charter school
- Founded and led New Mexico Open Primaries, a non-profit focused on increasing voter engagement
- Became expert on election code and election reform measures
- Developed solid knowledge of cyber security and IT systems
- Earned Bachelor of Arts degree in Government
- Earned Master’s of Science degree in Healthcare Management
- Spent a year working on cyber security and telehealth start-ups
Issues I Will Address:
Specific Skills and Experience Applicable to County Clerk:
- The Consular section of an Embassy or Consulate keeps all records of foreign births of Americans and makes a determination of U.S. citizenship eligibility. I worked in and/or led Consular sections at the U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt, Germany, the U.S. Embassy in The Gambia (West Africa) and the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa, Canada.
- I issued visas to foreign nationals who wanted to visit or live in the U.S. making complex decisions about who was qualified.
- Vetted many applicants for possible terrorist and criminal connections working closely with many U.S. Federal agencies.
- Issued emergency passports to Americans.
- Performed much of the record keeping and document evaluation and organization that our County Clerk’s office does.
- Led the Federal Voting Assistance Program for two years in Frankfurt, Germany where I helped register our military and Americans living abroad to increase voter turnout.
- Worked as Deputy Director of Fraud Section in Frankfurt trained to detect falsified documents.
- Trained and certified to be a Voter Registration Agent currently.