- Place the right number of voting machines at the right locations to reduce wait times and increase the vote
- Use voting centers and mobile vans to make it easier and more pleasant to vote throughout Sandoval County
- Work closely with the NM State County Clerk’s Association to support common sense election reform measures
- Provide state-wide leadership on critical election security measures
- Place on-line as much of the real estate and record keeping elements of the Clerk’s Office as is legal
- Implement a passport services office so that residents can apply for passports through the Clerk’s office
Help Fund Our Campaign
“The recent national threats to election security underscore how important it is to elect people to County Clerk positions who have experience with technology, the intelligence community and cyber security. As County Clerk, I will lead the charge to upgrade IT security and election procedures while remaining laser-focused on improving the voter experience for all.”
Bob Perls, former NM State Representative and former U.S. Diplomat.
I am running for Sandoval County Clerk in 2020 for three reasons:
- Model Integrity: The Clerk’s office must be non-partisan where all employees are scrupulously honest and hardworking. Integrity in the office will contribute to integrity of election outcomes. I want the Clerk’s Office to be a great place to work where happy employees provide outstanding customer service all the time.
- Promote Voter Outreach: Only 55 percent of eligible voters in New Mexico actually vote and in primaries the percentages are much lower. The Clerk should be the chief engagement officer constantly reaching out to voters on Native American lands, in rural New Mexico and throughout Sandoval County.
- Ensure Election Security: In New Mexico, the County Clerk is the chief election officer. In America, our elections are under attack. I have the technology and cyber security background to help modernize the Clerk’s office to protect election results from influence through smart use of the latest cybersecurity assets.
The past two years document that the threats against election security are real. The Russians tried to influence the 2016 elections and the Trump campaign benefited. These types of threats are much more severe and sophisticated than the background threats county and state governments usually see. To protect every vote, we need federal level expertise from the intelligence and law enforcement community filtered down immediately to all election officers in New Mexico. We need a Clerk who can modernize the office to address 21st century threats. I have the background, experience and desire to lead this effort.
Volunteer With Our Campaign
Throughout the campaign we will have many great opportunities for folks like you to lend a hand. Sign up below and we will get in touch.
- Founded and led for 25 years a NM technology company
- Met payroll for dozens of employees as the CEO
- Served my community as a NM State Representative
- Served my country and represented America abroad as a Foreign Service Officer in the Department of State
- Co-founded PAPA, a performing arts charter school
- Founded and led New Mexico Open Primaries, a non-profit focused on increasing voter engagement
- Became expert on election code and election reform measures
- Developed solid knowledge of cyber security and IT systems
- Earned Bachelor of Arts degree in Government
- Earned Master’s of Science degree in Healthcare Management
- Spent a year working on cyber security and telehealth start-ups
Issues I Will Address:
Specific Skills and Experience Applicable to County Clerk:
- The Consular section of an Embassy or Consulate keeps all records of foreign births of Americans and makes a determination of U.S. citizenship eligibility. I worked in and/or led Consular sections at the U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt, Germany, the U.S. Embassy in The Gambia (West Africa) and the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa, Canada.
- I issued visas to foreign nationals who wanted to visit or live in the U.S. making complex decisions about who was qualified.
- Vetted many applicants for possible terrorist and criminal connections working closely with many U.S. Federal agencies.
- Helped Americans in foreign prisons and hospitals as well as worked with local police to assist Americans in trouble.
- Issued emergency passports to Americans.
- Performed much of the record keeping and document evaluation and organization that our County Clerk’s office does.
- Led the Federal Voting Assistance Program for two years in Frankfurt, Germany where I helped register our military and Americans living abroad to increase voter turnout.
- Worked as Deputy Director of Fraud Section in Frankfurt trained to detect falsified documents.
- Trained and certified to be a Voter Registration Agent currently.