My job with the Department of State was no political appointment, but rather a grueling process to become part of the U.S. Diplomatic Corp, where I carried a top secret clearance. During my training, I became fluent in German, and worked at the U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt, Germany. One of the highlights of this assignment was a volunteer stint for 30 days leading the Consular Section at the U.S. Embassy in The Gambia, West Africa. My next assignment was at the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa, Canada in the consular section once again where I was Deputy Director. In the last 6 months of my tour I volunteered for hardship duty at the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan, on of the three high treat posts in the world. When my mother was diagnosed with terminal breast cancer, the decision to prioritize my family’s needs made returning home to be with her for the last year of her life the right thing to do.
I was a Consular Officer for most my time in the foreign service, working day in and day out doing many things the County Clerk does.
In May of 2015, I launched New Mexico Open Primaries, a non-profit focused on reforming our broken political system. It is the only non-partisan election reform group in New Mexico with a Board of Directors from all parties plus non-aligned voters. As a U.S. Diplomat, I spent over five years talking to foreigners about U.S. democracy and the American dream. It was an intensely patriotic experience. I believe that it is a patriot’s obligation to help fix what is broken at home as much as it is their obligation to defend and protect our freedoms from threats abroad.
My wife, Joan, and I live in Corrales. I have lived, recreated and worked throughout Sandoval County for the last 30 years. I have worked with many of the healthcare facilities on native lands and have some understanding of native cultures and the intense need for voter outreach to these communities.
SPECIFIC SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE APPLICABLE TO COUNTY CLERK:
- The Consular section of an Embassy or Consulate keeps all records of foreign births of Americans and makes a determination of U.S. citizenship eligibility. I worked in and/or led Consular sections at the U.S. Consulate General in Frankfurt, Germany, the U.S. Embassy in The Gambia (West Africa) and the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa, Canada.
- I issued visas to foreign nationals who wanted to visit or live in the U.S. making complex decisions about who was qualified.
- Vetted many applicants for possible terrorist and criminal connections working closely with many U.S. Federal agencies.
- Helped Americans in foreign prisons and hospitals as well as worked with local police to assist Americans in trouble.
- Issued emergency passports to Americans.
- Performed much of the record keeping and document evaluation and organization that our County Clerk’s office does.
- Led the Federal Voting Assistance Program for two years in Frankfurt, Germany where I helped register our military and Americans living abroad to increase voter turnout.
- Worked as Deputy Director of Fraud Section in Frankfurt trained to detect falsified documents.
- Trained and certified to be a Voter Registration Agent currently.
I look forward to serving all communities within Sandoval County in the years to come as your Clerk.
I ask for your vote in the June, 2020 primary election. I do have primary opposition and I need your help, contributions and support.